The lemon has long since established itself as an indispensable fruit in every kitchen. Often we read new information about their health promoting properties. It is well known that the lemon contains a lot of vitamin C and is therefore very healthy, despite its bitter taste. Therefore, every housewife tries to always have some lemons at home. But the big question is how to keep the yellow fruits fresh longer. Surely you know the situation: they cut a lemon and wanted to use it, but did not get it. Actually, you wanted to add some lemon juice to the fresh salad or to taste the chicken with it, unfortunately forgot the lemon in the fridge. Now the citrus fruit has been in the fridge for a long time, somewhere between butter and sausage and already looks moldy. To make sure that this does not happen to you any more, we have prepared clever tips and tricks for you on how to properly store lemons and keep them fresh for a long time.
Do you know exactly how to properly store lemons?
- Why do you have to keep the lemons properly?
Many people appreciate the healthy properties of lemons and use the yellow fruit as much as possible when cooking and baking. For example, if you want to get rid of a few extra kilos, you can lemon water prepare and enjoy its tart taste daily.
The good results will not be long in coming. The use options of the yellow fruit are almost unlimited if you want to benefit from their healthy ingredients. However, in many recipes, you can only take half a lemon or the grated peel of citrus fruit. What can one do then with the rest, many ask the question. The answer is: keep the lemons properly. Otherwise the fruits will easily mold, do not spread a good smell and dry out quickly. In all these cases, it’s a shame about the lemons, otherwise the money you’ve already spent on them.
No one wants to spend his money for free, right?
- What mistakes do many people commit to storing lemons?
In the storage of lemons you often make mistakes, so the fruits end up in the dustbin after a few days. For example, if you do not need them, put the sliced or halved lemon in the refrigerator most of the time. But that’s not right, because the fresh lemon can not stand low temperatures. These can not be stored outside even at high temperatures, so they must not be in direct sunlight in summer. At room temperatures storage in a shady place is recommended. Also avoid any aluminum foil when storing the lemon. Some people think that the sliced lemon could last longer in this slide. But this is a gross error, because aluminum is after the last medical examinations harmful to the human body. Too much aluminum can even cause cancer and Alzheimer’s. Be careful and forewarned!
In a shady and cool place at home you can keep the lemons fresh longer.
- Smart tips and tricks to store the lemons properly
Keeping the most important information regarding lemons correctly is briefly summarized in the following lines. Remember these clever tips and tricks and you will have fresh lemons for a long time at home.
- When shopping, you must be aware that the lemons have no pressure points, are struck or moldy look.
- Take care when transporting home. The lemon should not be squeezed, otherwise it can not be stored for long.
- Always keep the lemons separate from other fruits, so they have a longer shelf life.
- An already cut lemon must be kept in the dark and at room temperature. Best place on a plate or in a small bowl, but always with the cut side up.
- The best way to keep the lemons fresh for a long time is to keep them in a glass full of water. Here lockable Mason jars are the best in question. However, you should change the water every 2-3 days.
Extra tip: You should not drink this water. You can use it to water your houseplants.
Follow our handy tips and clever tricks to keep the lemon properly and keep it fresh for a long time.